14 Dec 2011

Mouse under the bird feeder

This past week we have had some really windy weather, so windy that one of my bird feeders got blown down.  I also have a lot of House Sparrows at the feeder, who just happen to be very either very messy or very picky eaters, as they quite often simply drop some seed to the ground.  As a result there is quite a bit of seed on the ground.

As I was taking some photos of the House Sparrows, I caught some motion on the ground below the feeder.  I thought perhaps a ground feeding bird had just flown off.  So naturally I tried to keep and eye on the ground as well.  But it was quite a while before I spotted any sort of motion at ground level again and when I did  I was totally surprised.

Mouse munching seed
There was a tiny little Mouse munching on some of the fallen seed.  However, this is a wary little Mouse.  Every time there was a noise, or the birds took flight, it was gone in a flash.  Then it would take several minutes before it would come out into the open again.

Sneaking out along the flowerbed
It actually took me several days to get some decent photos of this Mouse, mainly because it was so very fast and cautious.

Mouse close up

On the run
When I went out to look, I discovered it had made itself a dug out den beneath the roots of a dead flower in my flower bed.  I had left some of the flowers in place under the window because they had gone to seed.   Some birds do eat flower seed and I was hoping to attract them.  I just hope I don't regret it.  Although I don't mind the Mouse living outside my house, I would prefer not to have it inside.

Enjoy,
Guni

 Subscribe in a reader

No comments:

Post a Comment